Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Game Of Hide n Seek

One day I was asked to close my eyes
Let’s play hide and seek so you get worldly wise
Neither faith nor choice was mine
I closed my eyes coz I had no choice


“Count your days” I did
“Count your salary” I did
“Count your acquaintances, admirers and proposals” I did
“Count the parties, rewards and appraisals” I did


Counting twenty one, twenty two
I sneaked a glance or two
Was shocked to discover
I was wrong in judging the who's who


Closed my eyes again
Perhaps a punishment for cheating it was
When I count all it will be all right
I hope, in fact I was sure, as it was


Counted twenty three, four and five
My good sense told me to be on guard
I brushed it aside intoxicated by success
"You are only a dampener, a spoil sport that I should discard"


My good sense never left me
In mother’s words and fathers comradeship there it was
Slowly, cautiously, doubting, I counted twenty six
To see or not to see was the fix in which I was


Now I open my eyes
Only to find me better ignorant than worldly wise
There was a time I was tempted to sneak a view
Now I wish never to open my eyes till I get a life new


"Brother ! Oh Brother !
I see you but you see me no more
You are there in front of my eyes
But the distance between us can’t be covered in miles"


"Mother! Oh mother!
I bought you a sari in which to shimmer
But I see on your heart scars
And in your eyes red tears that make me shudder"




"Father! Oh father
I hoped to find you prouder
But on your shoulders I find no invisible medallions
But burdens of alms of deserved duty and memories for companions"


"Love! Oh love!
You had promised to be the most colourful dream
Yes a dream is all you proved to be
When my life lost colour you are nowhere to see"


"When I opened my eyes, to fathom the depth of the experience enlightening
The brightness was blinding
Hide n seek was a game of childhood no more for me to play
I accept with bent knees, lowered eyes “Ignorance is bliss” when they say"



Re posting.... :)

Had written it in June last year

2 comments:

Ramesh Sood said...

when my life lost colour you are nowhere to see..

I mean life is full of colours.. many colours...of happiness and joy..coming from so many places.. losing just one..doesn't make the life colourless..it;s just one colour less..

Your write inspired me to write the comment above... poem is simply superb and excellent..

Rashmirekha Manna said...

Thank you so much sir... you are right .. but when I wrote this .. it was not one colour that I lost... the only colour my eyes could see then was black.... But by God's grace.... I am able to see a lot more colours now...

Regards

Resolve

Don’t ever try to become somebody else’s dream. That is when you lose the freedom to shape your life your own way. It is way more rewarding ...