Monday, June 13, 2011

When was the last time I did something for the first time


I had been to Koudiyala 2 years back (Now 3.5 yrs), for camping with my colleagues. We did ab-sailing, river rafting, trekking in the Jungle at night,hunting for black ribbons tied to the bushes....we had beautiful crisp camp fires.... but the one thing that reverberates till date in my mind is the phrase our trainer (Destination Outdoors) asked us to take away from the whole experience.... it was "When was the last time I did something for the first time".

At that point of time we had been doing so many things for the first time during those 2 days at camp....that I hadn't actually grasped the true value of repeating this to myself at various points in life.

I came back all refreshed, bubbling with life from the camp, beaming with confidence and rejuvenated energy. The camp had made me discover yet some more things about myself.
But with the passage of time, the energy dissipated, those discovered traits remained with me, but I forgot how to bring back the energy levels......


But as always, God found the magic stick again for me....

I went to Bangalore, as my Brother and Sister-in-law both are working, I was left with the entire day all to myself..... I took up cooking for myself, I started making Rangolis (Designs of coloured powder) at the entrance.... I don't know how and when I started staying very happy throughout the day... I kept wondering what was the reason....

And then sumhow the phrase struck me , while discussing about my camp.
Yes, I was doing that cooking and Rangoli etc for the first time.... every time I made something good, I felt like a new trait was born in me.... then I made it a point that ... each day I would cook a recipe which I had never cooked before. And every day I would feel like I have accomplished something.

The point I am trying to drive home here is that we can do very simple things to rejuvenate ourselves each day.... things which we have never done before. So that we get to know our strengths and weaknesses, we get to explore ourselves in short we get to know ourselves.

Now when I look at what this has done to me... I could not stop myself from sharing this tip with all my friends.

Just try simple things.... even if it just getting off from the bus or car.... a little distance before your destination... and walking all the way.......

We can try this tip every once in a while I am sure it is rewarding




Written 15th Dec 2009

2 comments:

Ramesh Sood said...

wOW.. I READ IT SUCH A THOUGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME.. REALLY...

Jyoti Mishra said...

yeah u r so damn right... the extreme joy and satisfaction u get from doing lil things like watering flower and all.
Its beyond words but u summed it all very well.

Well written.
Enjoyed it reading.

Resolve

Don’t ever try to become somebody else’s dream. That is when you lose the freedom to shape your life your own way. It is way more rewarding ...